A Hard lesson Learned..........Join a Motoring Breakdown club when you buy a new Motor

tonyholbury

I purchased a 2007 Touran 1.9tdi for Towing after my Kia Carens refused to start, fitted my own tow ball and dual electrics and Towed it to Santa Pod.

36 Miles short of the Pod it was pulling back, stalling and finally packed up to the east of Brackley on the A43!!

Problem one, found a local rescue garage and £420 later Caravan is at the Pod and the Car was dropped at Johns Garage at Brackley, Im giving the Garage a plug here!

Next day 8am Garage calls its the fuel pump, VW bits easy to get and Work time half what it is in Southampton so £246 lighter new pump fitted and the man hours 2.5 and £100, not bad Broke down at 2pm fixed by 2pm next day!

Taxi cost me £65 to get from the Pod to Brackley.

So £731 lighter next time I buy a 2nd hand car I will Join the AA for the 1st year I own It!!!!

Here endeth the lesson.

Sorry to hear your tale of woe!

Unfortunately it is the nature of the beast with modern vehicle engineering, once the pump decides its not going to play ball any longer, thats it and game over.
Glad your experience was a good result, albeit an expensive one.

Roadside cover is always a must but worth doing a comparison of benefits rather than cost between the different companies.

What event were you attending at the Pod? (I haven't been there since the '80s)

European Finals much diminished as Europe lost a lot of events, if I hadnt had DPF on the brain I might have thought of giving the tank a good thump, ironically Eric O of South Main Auto on a you tube posting last night had a Ford F350 with the same problem, he also showed a good way to diagnose a failing pump by forming a fused loop  from the fuse box and a current clamp which showed the drop in current draw as the commuter spun over i the pump he used a scope to show the current draw which dropped to zero every time it hit the dud commuter, this is do-able at home, the Brackley garage that fixed my car noted the pump wasnt running and opened up the fuel filter which was empty!!