Replacing infotainment head unit

Toomanykids

Hi, all 

I've recently bought a 2010 Sharan 1.4 tsi. It's a Japanese import & in, apparently, great condition. I love it. . Previously I've owned an Alhambra & a Galaxy. The VW seems better than both though a more recent model. I want to replace the head unit/ infotainment system as the original unit has been removed by the dealer, I'm guessin, & replaced with a cheapie android 9" unit. This is ok but not as easy to use as previous systems I've owned. Also the sound similarly isn't as good.

Question being; do I try to buy a VW system similar to the factory fitted one, (RNS 510 or better),  or something like a pioneer head unit? I like to play CD's occasionally by the way. Also I want to be able to install a subwoofer, (underseat or other) so need to find a route through the bulkhead. Anyone done this before?

Any advice greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...

I’m looking to potentially upgrade the head unit in my sharan - I’m picking mine up over the weekend 2016 reg but noticed the head unit does have apple play for mirroring the navigation app and music. 

looking for recommendations for replacements. 

cheers.