passat problem

terryr86

hi im new here was hoping to gain some useful information from other members. 

i have a 1.9tdi se passat on a 56 plate i have started to have a bit of trouble with it i have no warning lights on the dash yet for some reason my car keeps losing power and going into limp/safe mode usually after ive been out for a while and want to overtake or accelerating up a hill or small incline on the motorway.

when i switch the engine off and turn it back on it resets itself and runs perfect for a while then all of a sudden it will happen again. 

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Guest John23

Hi terryr86,

I think the reason your car keeps going into limp mode is because your car computer is monitoring sensors which may be sending signals which are not being received so the computer is lowering fueling or the turbo boost to prevent damage. I would suggest having a look at the car's computer for any error codes or doing a boost leak test as this may be the cause of the limp mode.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 years later...

Had this problem when I refitted a boost hose and put the seal in the wrong place it leaked went under boost and into limp home mode, check the hoses are tight and a very basic code reader should show basic codes.

I have a small collection of code readers now very useful almost but not always tell you exactly whats wrong