POV SPEC! 2.0SDI GEARBOX SWAP!?

slim

Im wanting to retrofit a 6 speed gearbox in my 2008 mk5 golf 2.0L SDI which is currently 5 speed. can anyone tell me a good 6 speed box to use, bearing in mind the sdi is a very low power engine, I just want better mpg from it cruising on the motorways etc. I NEED A GEARBOX THAT IS 6 SPEED BUT NOT TOO HIGH GEARED THAT IT DOSENT MOVE!
HAS ANYONE DONE THIS BEFORE CANT BE JUST ME WANTING CHANGE!

I know the angle you are coming from as some engines crave for another gear when the revs are high on a motorway.

However, another move may be to fit a tuning box, had one on my Honda CR-V and that worked a treat to improve rpm and also to increase the mpg at very little cost.

Another benefit is that it also allows the engine to run at higher revs which keeps everything clean, EGR, DPF, etc

2 hours ago, Volkswagen Owners Club said:

I know the angle you are coming from as some engines crave for another gear when the revs are high on a motorway.

However, another move may be to fit a tuning box, had one on my Honda CR-V and that worked a treat to improve rpm and also to increase the mpg at very little cost.

Another benefit is that it also allows the engine to run at higher revs which keeps everything clean, EGR, DPF, etc

I will never fit a 'tuning' box. I'd get the car remapped properly on a rolling road. but I won't do that either as there would be next to no power gains being a naturally aspirated engine. I just want to run it at lower rpms to see if I can get an extra 100mi to a tank as I drive a lot of motorway. was posting here to see if anyone else has done this, but if nobody has, im thinking of fitting a pd140 gearbox. unless anyone can suggest a better box to use. cheers!

• Like 1