Additives in VW Passat

Chris B

Hi all, new member here having bought my first ever VW (after 40 years of driving Ford/Vauxhall)...a Passat R Line Estate 2.0, 59 plate in lovely condition and 77k on the clock.   I really want to query and get others views on the use of additives to the fuel,( Redex / Millers) but primarily relating to the  Diesel Particulate Filter, Millers do an additive specifically to clean/regenerate it.  Is it safe to use?  Will it cause more problems than solve?  Do others use it, if so does it work?

Looking to keep it running flawlessly with minimal expense to dealers/garages etc!   Have to say really impressed with the vehicle, massively roomy, and quick in a 'relaxed' way (getting to the age where I don't need 'excitement' in corning and racing off lights!), and very frugal on fuel.

Any advice/opinions gratefully received!

Cheers

Chris

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Chris....welcome to the Forum

Millers have always produced top quality products and have never heard any bad reports about them.

However, my belief is that if the car is driven correctly, as in high revs, low gears, motorway or extra-urban use then you shouldn't have any problems.

The main concern with DPF is the issues you hear about are when a large diesel engine is being used in town and short-shifted therefore not allowing the engine to rev high enough to purge the soot and carbon and also not giving the DPF an opportunity to regenerate.

The long and short of it is using the car for the correct purpose .... small petrol engine for town, big diesel engine for long motorway commutes.

Cheers,   Trevor

Hi Trevor,  thanks for the welcome and for your reply.  I have also heard both but good re Millers products, so may well use the injector cleaner occasionally but fight shy of DPF cleaners, most of my mileage will be higher speed or motorway.  Thanks for your help!