Bosch pump

rich

Hi, I am a newbie on here, please be gentle.

Would someone on here please provide some advise on a Japanese made Bosch fuel injection pump ( diesel ) part number 0 470 504 012.

I would like to know the resistance value of the spill control solenoid/electromagnet, part number 479763-1220.

I have a feeling that the one on this pump may have "burnt out".

Would anyone have the Bosch yellow publication giving principle of operation and hopefully tech details please.

Thanks in advance.

rich.

• Confused 2

Hi Trefor, thanks for the reply.

Its fitted to a Nissan Almera N16 with the YD diesel engine Y reg, and old car, which responded to some tlc and a service very well, and which the lad used to get to work. In traffic one day it spluttered and stopped, so he waited a little while and restarted the car. It made it to nearly the top of the hill and stopped, with the mil light now on.

It was towed home and checked over, fuel to pump and fuel arriving at the injectors. The engine runs on cheapo easystart so the engine itself is ok, with the cam timing etc. being fine.

The pump was removed after diagnosis via the mil light, and, after making a special tool to keep the pump sprocket from disappearing down into the engine, and engine out job to fix !

The on board self diagnosis via the mil light says spill circuit fault. I know that the tranny in the pumps electronics that powers the spill solenoid/electromagnet has a habit of failing, overheating as its fuel cooled. This pump is fitted to various other vehicles, and I was hoping the spill solenoid was a reasonably common part.

The electronics has a good chance of being repaired by a firm up north, who only require the electronics part, meaning that the wires to the spill and stop control solenoids need to be cut. This has allowed access to the wires so a continuity check was made, all good so far.

I would like to know the resistance values of these parts, as the spill solenoid has a very low resistance, meaning it may be burnt out ?

The stop solenoid has a resistance of about 5 ohms measured, which seems about right ?

If the spill solenoid has burnt out, this may have caused the tranny to fail and take out the micro processer as well ?, or visa versa.

If that is the case then a "new" pump will be needed, which will require "matching" to the cars ecm.

The wires from the car ecm to the pump have been checked for continuity being ok. I will be making some "break out wirers terminals" in the engine compartment close to the bulkhead, so values and signals from the ecm to the pump can be seen on a scope, so at least I will know some hand shaking is going on. The other possibility is a bad connection at the ecm and/or pump, again hopefully fixable via the breakout wires terminals and some terminals at the pump. The pumps pin out is visible now and the terminal pins getatable, only needing some terminals that will fit the pins.

If all this fails and we cannot get a pump at a reasonable cost, the car will be scrapped and our love affair with a Nissan will be well and truly over, for ever.

We should have got a VW, but nothing was available locally at the time.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

You have certainly gone about the right way regarding the diagnosis but sometimes it is better to call it a day if the cost for rectification is prohibitive.

I know some of the Nissan fuel pumps have had issues with the fuel control valves but even then it can relate back to another fault.

Have found most of the electrical faults with Nissan have come down to faulty earth connections and in some cases, earth leads completely severing which leads to a whole array of running issues.

• Like 2

I am quite bemused that no one has had a similar problem with this type of pump, as it is a family fault with them, and has not tested the solenoids/electromagnets before sending off the electronics for repair ?

Bosch uk of course who would have this info are like a chocolate teapot.

Anyway we are taking the chance of the solenoid being ok, and sending off the electronics on Monday. I will report back with outcome and resistance values of the solenoids, for your reference.

We have been trying for ages to get the resistance values and a used pump, to no avail.

• Like 1