Friendly hello from the UK

EFMax

Having not had a car for 10yrs (last one was an Audi) I am now on the quest to get myself a 2nd hand Touran... so from you well seasoned guys, what should I be looking out for - in terms of problems or issues) - I have seen a few (2006 -2010) where the owners have already changed or replaced or serviced the turbo, gearbox (DSG), cambelt and water pumps but is there anything else I should be aware of on cars that have covered between 75K-125k in mileage.

All feedback appreciated and I look forward to getting to meet various people. I live 60km west of London in the UK, and although my interests are pretty grounded in psychology (as a psychologist) and photography (as a trained landscape photographer) - in my past life I was a loudspeaker designer for car audio systems, so hello from the UK.

Hi EFMax...welcome to the Forum

Good to have you onboard

I think it is a case of trying to find the best maintained car for your money.
It may not always be the lowest mileage car and I think that it seems to be the case with most vehicles...if it has full dealer history then it should have had recalls and updates which will go a long way to ensuring the car has had the best start in life.

Avoid 'school run' cars....found too many to be abused on the suspension, brakes and general wear & tear to the engine, transmission, body and interior.

Good luck with your search and let us know how you get on 

Cheers,   Trevor

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Well, three weeks down the road and all is good. Got myself a 2007 model with 103.5K on the clock, previous owner had the turbo replaced recently, done the cam, the water pump and the gearbox so all in all it all seems good plus for a 2.0 140 version, it is kicking out 190BHP and around 400ib/ft of torque so it is lively and is doing approx 45-50mpg on a run - so I am quite happy with that.

• Like 2