Lots of movement in the engine & loud!

emwol2

I've just picked up a VW Touran 2004. Test drive was absolutely fine and on initial inspection everything looked good. 

However, after driving it for about 2hrs the engine sounded pretty loud. I popped the bonnet and there's excessive movement in the engine. 

When the engine is cool it's not so bad. I'm going to service it. But any ideas on what this could potentially be? I did pop in to a garage that I was passing by who suggested it could be the engine mounts but without a proper look they can't be sure. 

It's had a brand new mot - no advisories. Had a lot of work done to pass the mot and no mention of any issues with the engine mounts or anything else...

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2023 at 9:04 AM, Volkswagen Owners Club said:

If there is excessive movement in the engine then I would look at scanning the system and looking what the injectors are doing (readings should be even for all cylinders if not the there is a faulty one)

Thanks. The flywheel and clutch failed the day after I posted above. Have had that done and got the cambelt and water pump done at the same time. Since I've got it back it's now struggling to start when hot. 

Changed the fuel filter and someone out it on diagnostic for me and one of the injectors is running at a negative. He's coming back to put it on again when the car is cold later and see what the difference is in the readings but looks like I could have a faulty injector too. 

The fuel filter was pretty bad, not sure whether to try running a injector/ fuel cleaning fluid through the system and see if that helps before going down the route of replacing injectors? 

I've only had the car a couple of weeks now and already spent more on fixing it than what I paid for it 😞

• Like 1

Oh dear an expensive time then.
DMF and clutch would make quite a noise when switching the engine on and off but not normally when running which is strange.
I did think it may be injector related which also could contribute to undue wear and tear in the DMF.

Fuel filter and flush could work but don't leave the injector like that for long as damage to the engine could result in a larger bill than replacing the one injector.
Also check the oil is not diluted with diesel washing down into the oil and change if necessary along with the filter