Limp mode when underload at 70mph

Mcglynn

I have a mk5 tdi 2.0gt 54plate the car has been going into limp mode and losing turbo at about 70mph, when I restart the car the fault has gone doesn’t turn a EML light on, I have changed the fuel filter as was black, changed the G62 sensors, and replaced the MAF sensor, I have taken the boost pressure sensor off and cleaned this, I have had the turbo checked and there isn’t any play in turbo and all moving good, I did have a EGR daily code but once cleared from the ECU this hasn’t returned, any advice would be welcomed 

Hi....welcome to the Forum

100% most definitely the variable vanes sticking in the turbo.
You can either try cleaning it with a Turbo Cleaner solution 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-MaxedDiesel-Turbo-Clean-Kit-Removing-Carbon-Deposits-Improving-Performance/401762692999?epid=1943810068&hash=item5d8aec2f87:g:ZfkAAOSw0IBc0Lc5

The alternative to replace the turbo cartridge which is a lot cheaper than replacing the whole turbocharger unit.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=vw+golf+mk5+tdi+turbo+cartridge&_sop=15

Let us know what you find

• 1 year later...

Hello, everyone. I hope you'll forgive me if I hijack this thread for a moment to ask a question. I have a 2002 Jetta TDI (ALH) which has been in storage for past 2 years as I did not want to deal with an engine in limp mode at the time (135K miles). I knew at the time that I had a coked EGR valve and likely a turbocharger with stuck open (closed?) vanes. No CILs. Starts without hesitation or excessive smoking. As I want to bring it back to operation again, I was going to remove and clean the EGR valve, tubes and MAF, as well as the turbo, itself. But, if I have the turbo off the engine, why not swap the turbo, especially if a newer one is available from the salvage yards from a later model TDI engine. In my area, we have tons of Jettas, Passats, Beetles, GTIs, Rabbits, etc. Is that possible or feasible? Would a turbo swap make any sense, especially if I leave everything else stock on this ALH engine? Thanks for your advice.