2005 1.9 TDI Front wipers issue.

mindiawl

Hi, looking to see if anyone has had this kind of issue before please?

I've been told its the relay and that would make perfect sense to me, but I cant for the life of me find out which relay it is on the relay board under the steering behind the fuse box? Help please

Ok I know that when the bonnet / Hood is open, the micro switch in the bonnet catch stops the 2 front wipers and the screen wash from working as standard.

We initially thought a faulty bonnet switch was causing our issue of the wipers acting very strange, however when they act strange and don't work the screen wash still works so that eliminates it being a faulty bonnet micro switch.

Ok if using the wipers on the timer cycle which runs then in incriminates the wipers fail after about 3 minutes or sometimes when you put the indicator or lights on, "They just STOP at the bottom in the correct stopped place" Then the only way to get them to work again is to stop the car, switch ignition off and also take key out, then key back in and start then wipers work for a while.

Earlier we tried a different approach.
We flicked the wipers up to speed 1 and drove and it was great so after about 5 mins we switched the lights on, instantly the wipers sped up to speed 2,we tried moving the lever down to speed 1 and to off but the wipers kept going on speed 2. We stopped took the key out but they kept going on speed 2 with no key in ignition and lever down in off, They only stopped when we put the key back in and turned it to the on position.

Crazy wiper day help please. Thanks

Hi....welcome to the Club

First thoughts are it is not a relay as the wipers actually power through the motor.

However, it could be a common earth fault (loose, poor earth connection on the inner wing somewhere under the bonnet or loose battery connection)
Check also the distribution box on the battery.

Otherwise it may a steering column connection to the switches (lights and wipers)

• 1 month later...

I have been watching a you tuber channel called SOUTH MAIN AUTO its in New York state so no plug here and Eric O seems to find the most idiotic failures but his best advice is when tracing multiple failures go for the simplest first in that case a clock spring replacement fixed many smaller annoying faults, I did this on my Fiat Panda fixed the Horn, still have 2 airbag lights up but that may just be a reset issue, Eric Came across an Earthing fault, not the connector to body but 'green crusties' in the wires entering the connector, this has me being very watchful to check the PHYSICAL state of wires entering connectors particularly when many are crimped together.

PS you will be horrified by the rotted condition of many american vehicles they seem to lack an MOT system there

• Like 1

PPS another Eric O bit of genious check the wiring diagram to see where commonality exists between linked problems, you may have a issue where your wipers share the Earth with the lights, if so check this earth and if in doubt pull it apart and rewire the connections split the wires between a couple of Ring connectors, seeing Eric using crimp/shrink connectors I've purchased some of those as when shrinking hot glue melts and seals out moisture, beautiful strong crimps

• Like 1

Wanting to heat a push on connection and being unable to get a hot gun near it, my daughter bought me what looks like a tiny hot glue gun, its a catalytic hot air gun that runs on butane gas and is not extremely hot so perfect for shrink joints it has a cupping half tube fitting to pass the hot air behind a connection lovely useful little toy.

• Like 1