Boot catch problem on 2011 cc

RBA

Yesterday, my boot stopped opening via either the remote, catch or the button on the door so I’m having to open it manually from the inside. Having ruled out the remote, the boot deadlock switch (in the glove compartment on some US models apparently) I began to inspect the catch.

Here’s the thing:
When the boot is actually open, the boot catch works via all the usual methods (remote, external handle, driver’s button), however, as soon as it’s shut it no longer functions. This lead me to investigate the possibility of the wiring becoming trapped or damaged by the hinge being in the closed position. I cannot find any evidence of external damage but concluded possibly that the wire inside might possibly have been severed by being crushed etc? This makes sense - but even having freed the cable so it’s not being moved by the action of opening and closing the boot I’m baffled as to why the catch still works consistently 100 percent of the time when the boot is open and doesn’t 100 percent of the time when it’s closed. It’s as if there is some sort of gyroscope in the boot catch? Anyone have any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...
Volkswagen Owners Club
This post was recognized by Volkswagen Owners Club!

RBA was awarded the badge 'Great Support' and 35 points.

I’ve now solved this.

I’d narrowed the problem down to a length of the wiring loom where it emerged from the tubular boot hinge and into a series of connectors (the others being for the various lights) I was pretty convinced movement of a broken wire, opening and closing the boot lid, was the cause of the problem - but there was no evidence of wear or damage.

I proceeded to carefully strip the fabric covered binding tape to inspect the wires. The insulation on pretty much all the wires in this sanction was cracked and had separated leaving sections of wire frayed and in some places severed altogether - successful contact was dependent on movement of the boot. I set about painstakingly repairing the breakages with insulation tape, discovering the wiring for the boot catch by a process of elimination. The boot catch is now operable via all three methods (remote, driver’s door, external handle). That section of the loom will have to be replaced in the long term but everything including the lights is now working.

It’s a guess, but the possible cause of this perishing might be to do with water running down the boot hinge onto the wires and getting them wet, then being damaged by changes in temperature.

I’ve noticed after heavy rain showers the interior trim on the CC’s boot lid has a tendency to fill with water inside  - which then sloshes out down the hinges. The rubber seal is fine but I think the trim, at some point has been improperly refitted and is routinely trapping it open.

Anyway. I hope this helps somebody else at some point.

• Like 1