Old Sharan owner but new Alhambra owner with problems!

MazzyH

Hi. 

I've owned a number of mk1 Sharans, which I loved but I've just bought a 2009 Alhambra Ecomotive because my last Sharan finally died.  However I've got a problem which is fairly similar to something that happened on my Sharan Sport some years ago.

The car has the engine management light on and when started says "Emissions Workshop".  I drive it and after a while the flashing glow plug light comes on and it enters limp home mode.

There is a slight smell of exhaust gases in the car when the heater is on and at night I can see some smoke (presume exhaust) coming from the front grill.

The car accelerates before it goes into limp mode but it is noisy - like a fast ratchet sound, plus I can hear the turbo kicking in (there is some lag) and then I keep hearing a woosh as it dumps pressure. It does this as it's accelerating but not being driven hard - almost like pressure is building up but too much. It's not at the end of acceleration, it's continually through it.

Took it to a local garage who have me the sucked in air and "probably hoses or the egr, but I don't like the fact there's some oil around the hoses. Gonna be costly".

I've got a diagnostic tool arriving today so probably can get some codes but my question is, what is the likely issue and is it going to be costly if I get second hand or pattern parts?

Thanks.

Have to say, the dashboard is not a patch on the Sharan because everything is red light and is difficult to read easily whereas the Sharan was blue and red - much easier!

Hi Mazzy....welcome to the club

It certainly sounds like a build up of carbon in both the EGR and Turbo which could cause these issues.
First thought would be to treat the engine to a carbon clean such as Terraclean which would remove the build up and allow the engine to breath properly - both in and out

Turbo variable vanes can gum up and stop moving which will cause an underboost issue as would carbon buildup elsewhere in the intake causing the engine to block up and restrict the flow of boost to where it should be which can cause further damage if untreated

Let us know how you get on with it